THE ART OF GLASS MOSAICS
Because of the overwhelming response to our 2 day mosaic workshops in July,
SSG has invited Shelby back to SSG in February
Learn all you need to know to ‘kickstart’ your mosaic passion!
SATURDAY & SUNDAY – February 9/10
SATURDAY & SUNDAY – February 16/17
Call 941 925 GLAS (4527) to register
In each of these 2 day hands on workshops you will learn all you need to know
to create your choice of a beautiful glass mosaic 12″x12″ panel or pre-cut design
in the Northern Italian Tradition.
YOUR CHOICE OF PROJECTS
12×12 Panel OR Pre-cut Forms
$325.00 materials included
- Precut Designs – Shelby has created a series of pre cut designs made from MDF Board. You have your choice between 4 pre cuts for this workshop as shown in the samples above. Students will choose their own colors and design creating their own style.
- 12″ x 12″ Panels – All students will be given individual attention creating and executing their own designs. If your not confident with your drawing skills, Shelby will be happy to help you put your design together. All materials and tools will be provided for your use.
YOUR CHOICE OF PROJECTS
Heads Up! The Decorative Sun Hat, Guitar or Bird House
$450.00 materials included
- The Sun Hat – This decorative hat is the same size and shape of a real sun hat. The work surface is 15″ in diameter including the 4″ rim. What colors and design will you make on your hat?
- The Guitar – The Guitar is made of a light weight wood and is about 19″ long. It’s a great decorative piece for all people who play or love music!
- Mosaic Birdhouse – This sweet little birdhouse will brighten up any corner of your garden. Cover every surface with the colors and design of your choice.
Students will use glass mosaic tiles learning about the different tesserae (tiles) available
and how to cut them. The various Andamentos (different ways of laying down the tiles)
will enable you to express different styles or emotions in the work. For instance,
Opus Regulatum will give a very formal look where as Opus Palladianum
will give a very lighthearted look. We’ll discuss the different substraits
(different materials available to lay your glass on)
and the glues to use.
Please join us for a creative fun filled workshop. Classes open to beginner and intermediate levels of experience.
To register for any of the following classes call 941 925 GLAS (4527)
Shelby has been immersed in the glass world since the early 1970’s in Northern California where she maintains her studio. She now divides her time working in glass between California and San Pancho, Mexico.
She began her glass career creating Stained Glass pieces which she sold at Art Fairs. Developing and refining her skills she went on to making Custom Stained Glass Windows. She did this for about 15 years when she read a book on Glass Fusion and dove into that.
For the next 15 years she was a Glass Fuser showing her work at many Art Fairs and Art Galleries. After studying and teaching the ancient art of Glass Tile Mosaics in Italy, Greece, and the US, Shelby is currently a Glass Mosaic Artist. In 1999 she was a winner of the very prestigious Corning Glass Museum’s ‘Neuw Glass Review’. Working with Mosaics , developing new substrate designs, and teaching this wonderful art form continues to fill her life.